The Adventures of Airstream Mikie

Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Toyota FJ Cruiser as camper tow vehicle




Being a total novice to camping of any sort, much less Airstreaming, I had no idea what tow vehicle I needed, so I asked my friendly Airstream sales rep, and he suggested I get a Toyota FJ Cruiser.  Let me share with you some of my experiences with this choice:


1.  Great looking vehicle.  I like the aggressive stance, and the lines of it.

2.  Nice riding vehicle.  Much more civilized than I expected from an off-road 4WD.

3.  Poor gas mileage.  I haven't measured it, but the stock FJ, not towing, is poor, and towing an Airstream it's worse.

4.  And now for the biggest problem I have encountered with it:  You can't open the rear hatch very far at all when you are hooked up to your Airstream because the spare tire hits the electric tongue jack.  The I can open it is about 8 inches or so.  Even after I moved the spare tire to the roof rack, tied down with a ratcheting strap, (photo above taken before this) the door opens a lot more, but not fully as it still hits the tongue jack.  The only solution to this is to un-hitch the trailer and pull the FJ forward a foot or so.  That seems a reasonable fix, but many times when I'm at the beach for just the day, unhooking and hooking up again seems like more work than necessary.

5.  With only a 5,000 lb. tow capacity, its perfect for my 3,500 lb. Airstream Sport 17, but there's no way I'd feel good towing a trailer the next size up.  And since I'm looking at the Sport as a prototype learning experience before I jump in with both feet and get a 27 footer, it looks like I'll be trading in the FJ for something like a Toyota Tundra pickup.



But it sure looks great, doesn't it!  And, with the spare on the roof, it looks even more gnarly!

2 comments:

  1. not a good tow vehicle for an RV, huh... Thanks for posting this.

    I like the style of FJs. It's actually the first real non-sedan type car I've liked...They're just plain...cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This design is spectacular! You most certainly know how to keep a reader
    entertained. Between your wit and your videos, I was almost moved to start my
    own blog (well, almost...HaHa!) Fantastic job.
    I really enjoyed what you had to say, and more than that, how you presented it.

    Too cool!

    Feel free to surf to my webpage 5th wheel hitches fifth
    Wheel Hitch receiver hitch fifth Wheel Hitch Fifth Wheel Hitch - ,

    ReplyDelete