The Adventures of Airstream Mikie

Sunday, July 26, 2009

Will it fit in a shipping container?


In thinking long range, for when I run out of beaches on the west coast of North America, I get to considering the challenge of shipping the Airstream and the tow vehicle to Europe, or New Zealand, or wherever.

The solution I had always thought most practical was to simply drive the entire rig, tow vehicle and trailer together, into a 40' shipping container and put a label on the outside, close the door, and presto!

Not so. It doesn't fit. Not by much, but a miss is as good as a mile, in this case.

Check out the standard shipping container sizes.

and

Check out the size of the littlest Airstream.

So that idea is out.
I guess it will just have to go in the hold, just like all the other un-containerized stuff. I wonder how much it will cost? That will come in another post, when I get closer to the ship date.

No comments:

Post a Comment